CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Makenna's Birth

We were in total shock at the news that we had another sweet baby on the way. Mallory was 4months old when I got the positive pregnancy test. I was ecstatic but scared. Mallory was in physical therapy and was seeing a neurologist. The neurologist insisted that there was a 99% chance that the same injury would happen with the new baby and that I should demand a c-section. I just took her word for it. Never thought to do any research on my own. Silly me, always trusting medical professionals. (I know, I know I'm working on it!) We had another calm pregnancy. Just tiring, because ofcourse I had an infant to take care of. Billy was working two to three jobs depending on the week and he was also exhausted. Both of us were eager to meet the new baby! But not as eager as she was to meet us. LOL
At 33 1/2 weeks I went into spontaneous premature labor. We had been at church that night, and when we got home I just could not sleep. Billy and Mallory went to bed and I stayed up doing dishes and cleaning the house. (anyone who knows me can tell you that was not normal....I hate cleaning during regular hours. LOL ) I finally went to bed around 4 am and woke up to feed and change Mallory, then dozed until 10am. When I woke up at 10am I lost my mucus plug, and contractions were 5-7 minutes apart. I called Billy home from work, and we went to the OB office. They monitored me and then rushed me off to the hospital! The nurses started me on the meds to stop labor but it didn't work and by noon I was already dialated to a 6. The OB on call (at least one I knew this time....) came in to ask me whether I wanted to have the c-section or not. He told me there was no way of knowing if the baby was big or little, and that if it was his child he would go ahead with the section. I was in active labor and not thinking straight, so I agreed to the section. The OB left to get scrubbed in and the nurses rushed around prepping me. Soon someone came in to inform me that the doctor had been called away to emergency surgery and I would have to wait. I laid in bed until 5:30 at which point a nurse checked me and said "Oh she's a 10!" (No pain meds...Yay!) They rushed me to the OR and made Billy wait in the hall while they put in the spinal. Then they cut Makenna out of my body.
(Sidenote: I am TERRIFIED of knives. I don't cut things ever.....I am just so scared of being cut myself. That by itself made this a traumatic experience for me!) Makenna was pulled out of me and rushed to NICU. She was having trouble breathing. I was sent to recovery and didn't see her until the next day. I remember mom wheeling me down to the NICU and I didn't have any recognition of her. She was only 5 lbs 12 oz. There was no reason for the section. Other than myself and apparently the staff being uneducated about shoulder dystocia and ways to resolve it. I am so thankful for Makenna...and even for her birth. Although I NEVER want to go through a c-section again...I feel like it was an important turning point in my life. Never before would I have dreamed of having a homebirth, or going against doctor's orders. But now I am firm in believing that is exactly what we are being led to do with this birth. Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers as we prepare for our HBAC! (homebirth after c-section) Only 9.5 weeks left!!!!

1 comments:

Momof4 said...

Wow - I understand your motivation. By the way - I like you picture. :)